North Shore Times : February 14th 2013
www.northshoretimes.co.nz 5 NORTH SHORE TIMES, FEBRUARY 14, 2013 NEWS numberworksnwords.com Birkenhead Ph 418 0950 East Coast Bays Ph 478 7130 Takapuna Ph 489 8388 YOUR CHILDREN ARE AMAZING ALREADY. WE JUST HELP THEM PROVE IT. From New Entrant to Year 11, NumberWorks'nWords after- school tuition brings out the best in Kiwi students by: • tailoring lessons according to each individual's needs • setting achievable goals and monitoring their progress • developing our own programmes using only qualified Maths and English experts numberworksnwords com Maths & English FREE ASSESSMENT BOOK NOW! Exhibition centre still up in the air For art's sake: The old Takapuna library building retains its original look in the scaled-back plans for the Shore Exhibition Centre. By MARNIE HALLAHAN The group campaigning to get a museum-standard exhi- bition centre on the North Shore is caught in a chicken and egg situation, Devonport Takapuna Local Board mem- ber Jan O Connor says. The Shore Exhibition Cen- tre Trust s request for a three-year lease on the old Takapuna Library building on The Strand was once again turned down by the local board which is unwilling to give the project its full sup- port. Local board chairman Chris Darby admits that the situation is a conundrum for the trust. Without solid funding com- mitments the local board will not agree to grant the trust a lease and without the cer- tainty of a lease funders are hesitant to make a financial commitment to the trust. It will now have to wait until September to hear whether the project meets the criteria for regional funding and support under the Auck- land Council Arts and Cul- ture Strategic Action Plan. That is yet another delay for the trust whose members include arts campaigners Genevieve Becroft and Ruth Ell and former Auckland Art Gallery director Christopher Johnstone. We know there are other great arts and cultural facili- ties on the North Shore but there is nothing that is of museum standard like else- where in the super-city, Mr Johnstone says. Last September the trust asked the local board to endorse its project and grant the trust a three-year lease for the old Takapuna library building which is now a base for parking wardens. But board members were concerned they would be lum- ped with the proposed $800,000 annual operating costs. The trustees were asked to go away and rework their business case into a more financially sustainable model. They returned to last week s local board meeting after scaling the project back to a $4.7 million capital out- lay with an operating cost of around $300,00 per year. Mr Johnstone says the capital outlay expected from the council would be limited to $600,000 which would be used for the necessary seis- mic strengthening of the building and the installation of a passenger and goods elevator. The balance of the capital cost would be raised over three years from community trusts and donations. Also included in the new business case was community feedback in the form of a sur- vey, conducted by council- approved firm Gravitas. Board member Joseph Bergin, the centre s loudest opponent, criticised the the community survey saying that with only 110 respon- dents he was not satisfied there is much support for the exhibition centre. The survey shows 91 per cent of respondents support the idea of a Shore Exhibition Centre. Almost 95 per cent of these also thought Takapuna, and specifically No 2 The Strand, is a suitable location for such a facility. We need to ask our com- munity what they want from the building, not give them a proposal and say what do you think of this and call it con- sultation, Mr Bergin says. Double deckers trial on Double decker buses will be taking to the Northern Busway next month. It was revealed in Auckland Transport s latest business report to Auckland Council s transport committee as an effort to bolster patronage numbers. Auckland Transport spokesman Mark Han- nan says the first dou- ble decker buses are expected on the route some time in March. The North Shore Times reported last year about a trial for the buses after a num- ber of operators called for one on Auckland s busiest routes. The Northern Busway and Dominion Rd in the city were on the wishlist. Auckland Transport chief executive David Warburton said last year there is potential to increase capacity by about 70 per cent on some of the busiest routes without putting on extra buses. Visit aucklandtrans port.govt.nz.
February 12th 2013
February 15th 2013