North Shore Times : February 3rd 2011
3 NORTH SHORE TIMES, FEBRUARY 3, 2011 NEWS Birkenhead Ph 418 0950 East Coast Bays Ph 478 7130 Takapuna Ph 489 8388 YOUR CHILDREN ARE AMAZING ALREADY. WE JUST HELP THEM PROVE IT. B ET From Year 1 to Year 11, NumberWorks'nWords after- school tuition brings out the best in Kiwi students, by: • tailoring lessons according to each individual's needs • expertly setting goals, and monitoring their progress • developing our own programmes using only qualified maths and English experts nu numb berworksnwords.com n n Maths & English FREE ASSESSMENT BOOK NOW! ANNUAL SUMMER SALE 10-50% OFF EVERYTHING IN STORE Biggest selection of designer sneakers in Auckland - over 200 styles in-store Premier Auckland stockists of skateboards and NZ street fashion brands • HUFFER • MONEYSHOT • ABC • SLY GUILD • TRAFFICK & MANY MORE 138 Hurstmere Rd, Takapuna. Ph 489 4161 ENROL NOW Ph: 478 6333 3167796AN Motions Rd site Western Springs Auckland 0800 MOTATNZ (0800 668 286) www.motat.org.nz Precious pup Romi has berry close call By MICHELLE ROBINSON Poor pooch, above: Nine-month- old papillon Romi almost died from eating a karaka berry, vet surgeon Nicole Brown says. Photo: BEN WATSON Poisonous, right: Karaka berries, which turn orange when ripe, are highly toxic and can cause paralysis if swallowed by people or animals. BRIGHT orange karaka ber- ries might look appetising but a Milford vet is warning they are lethal. Staff at the Milford based Pet & Vet clinic are warning dog owners and parents of young children about the highly toxic berries that are dropping off trees. Karaka berries are very toxic, especially the fruit or hard kernel inside which can cause painful paralysis. The fruit was traditionally eaten by Maori who under- stood how to detoxify it through a long washing and boiling process. The warning follows the near death of nine-month-old papillon pup Romi who suffered damage to his ner- vous system after eating a berry kernel. Romi s lucky to be alive, vet surgeon Nicole Brown says. At that age they do stupid things, they eat everything. Romi swallowed the kernel which had been brought into his backyard by a bird at about 6pm one evening. An hour later he was vomiting severely and by 3am he had a major seizure and was rushed into after-hours emergency care, Mrs Brown says. Most dogs die from such a poisoning within three to five hours, she says. It happens so fast. Romi was under sedation for a few days and given medication to flush the toxin out and treat his symptoms. But he s not out of the woods yet. It s not known whether he will be able to run around again because he lost much of the strength in his legs, Mrs Brown says. He s back home but will need regularly check-ups until he recovers, which could take months. Mrs Brown is hopeful but says treatments don t always work and it s often too late once the poison sets in. Owner awareness is what counts.
February 1st 2011
February 4th 2011