North Shore Times : November 18th 2010
5 NORTH SHORE TIMES, NOVEMBER 18, 2010 NEWS Best of Fresh for Less Normal trading hours Mon - Sun 7.30am - 6.30pm. All our fresh fruit and vegetables in store are clearly labelled for country of origin NST18/11 Greville Road, Albany Ph (09) 475 5271 174 Mokoia Road, Birkenhead Ph (09) 419 8006 Cnr Kitchener & Shakespeare Roads, Milford Ph (09) 489 8964 343 Albany Highway North Harbour Ph (09) 448 5569 Agria Potatoes $5.99bag Fresh Tomatoes $4.49kg Fresh Courgettes $2.49bag Truss Tomatoes $4.49kg Fresh Snow Peas $2.99bag Gold Pineapples $3.49ea Philippines 200g 5kg Telegraph Cucumbers $1.99ea Pukekohe Shanghai Bok Choy 79cbag 800g Buy USA Anjou Pears, beintoWIN one of five $500 Fr uit World vouchers 10 Te Kea Place, Albany, Auckland. 4DAYSONLY HOURS: 10AM - 3:00PM Half price or less Wide range of adult & kids sports brands. Plus other well known kids clothing brands. MASSIVE SUMMER WE'VE GONE MAD!! Eftpos & Cash. Credit Card subject to surcharge on minimum $50 sale Phone: 444 7976 CLEARANCE 18th - 21st November MOWERS A Wrights Best Buy! 400SX-OHV lawnmower Heavy duty armour plate steel chassis 18 (460mm) two blade cutting disc 140cc (4hp) Over Head Valve (OHV) engine technology 5yr chassis, plus 5yr engine warranty 449 $ NOW mower400SX /nst:nh:rt Superior Quality at a Low, Low Price Yappy hour for pets A pets blessing day at St Andrews s Presbyterian Church will conclude with a Yappy Hour, a pet version of morning tea. Pets of all size and type are welcome to St Andrew s first Pets Blessing Day on Novem- ber 21. Minister Chris Bed- ford says the event comes as a recognition of the place of pets in peoples lives. They are part of our whole relationship with God and the world around us, Mr Bedford says. Although there will be some time of reflection and worship, there will be a lot of emphasis on it being a fun occasion also, he says. Mr Bedford isn t quite sure what sort of animals will attend. I m sure we are in for a surprise or two, he says. People of all faiths are welcome to take part. Phone 480-7229 for more information. Mystery fire guts family home By MICHELLE ROBINSON Lucky escape: A Cuthill family are lucky to be alive after their house was badly damaged in a mystery fire. Photo: BEN WATSON As a Cuthill family slept their house became a ticking time bomb for disaster. It s believed a fire started in their ceiling possibly because of a problem with a downlight. Carol Rudolph returned from dropping her four chil- dren at school to find her home filled with thick smoke. Within minutes large flames had destroyed the con- tents of the five-bedroom Albany Highway home. I got back at 8.55am and the whole house was chocka full of plasticy looking, multi- coloured smoke. I couldn t see a thing. The first flames I saw were massive, wrapping themselves around the china cabinet. A burst water pipe saved a large rimu dining table. Fur- niture in the downstairs mas- ter bedroom, a couple of treasured wooden carvings and a child s soft toy were about the only other items that survived. A new leather lounge suite that the Rudol- phs had saved for years to buy was destroyed. To make matters worse the family had no house or con- tents insurance after cancel- ling their policy to cut costs during difficult financial times. My husband s a builder and it s not that great out there in the building industry so we thought we d give our- selves a year on hold and this is the result. In another twist, a bag con- taining at least $600 fell from the rafters on top of Mr Rudolph as he helped clear the mess. The discovery has baffled the couple who bought the house from Takanini five years ago and had it moved in pieces on to their property. The house s varnished walls meant the fire ripped through it, taking out 28 windows. At least five fire crews with two high pressure hoses worked to put it out. The structure, decks, bathrooms, a downstairs bed- room and plumbing are intact and the family plan to rebuild using the existing framework. The only clue to the cause was a downlight in the front room that flickered for two nights and died the night before the fire. They later heard from the neighbours that they could smell smoke that night. The house had three smoke alarms but Mrs Rudolph says firefighters told her that having one in the roof could have warned them earlier.
November 16th 2010
November 19th 2010